Counting Crows Live at Foxwoods Resort & Casino – Mashantucket, CT 04.27.2012
Counting Crows were at the Foxwoods Resort and Casino in Connecticut on Friday April 27, 2012. The show started at 8:00PM. Adam Duritz, lead singer of the Counting Crows came out on stage and thanked the audience for arriving early to hear the opening band; Mean Creek from Boston. After Mean Creek’s set and a 20-minute break; Counting Crows came on shortly after 9:00PM. It was almost a full house and the excitement was palpable.
The set list consisted of 17 songs:
- Anna Begins
- Untitled (Love Song) (Roman Rye cover)
- If I Could Give All My Love or Richard Manuel is Dead
- Mr. Jones
- Hospital (Coby Brown cover)
- Black and Blue
- Start Again (Teenage Fanclub cover)
- You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere (Dylan cover)
- Meet on the Ledge (Fairport Convention cover)
- Good Time
- Long December
- Jumping Jesus (Sordid Humor cover)
- Hangin’ Around
- Washington Square
- Come Around
- Holiday in Spain
- (California Dreamin’ by The Mamas & the Papas)
People stood up for Mr. Jones and a couple of other songs such as Long December and the Encore. People seemed surprised when the show ended 90 minutes later. I investigated Adam’s Twitter page where a fan asked why the show was so short. He responded by saying that the casino had a curfew and time limits on the bands; Mean Creek was cut from 45 minutes to 30 minutes and Counting Crows from 2 hours to 90 minutes. That is one of the great things about Adam; the ongoing, open on line relationship he has maintained with his fans over the years.
Adam was noticeably quiet on stage and even commented on that while at the piano by saying; “I haven’t been very talkative on this tour, just singative”; he then went on to joke about his major in English.
Adam often sang with his eyes closed; his voice remained solid throughout. The band also seemed to enjoy one another as much as they do playing music; even after all these years. Counting Crows shows seem to excel at smaller venues where fans are encouraged to come up front to sing, dance, and even record their shows; the venue at the casino was a bit too stuffy for the likes of the Counting Crows who have worked hard to maintain their ability to do the work they want to do; even being label free since 2009. The set list consisted of several covers from their new album Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation) released April 2012; which Counting Crows effortlessly make their own (The album is a real treat).
A recent past tour entitled; “The Traveling Circus and Medicine Show” where multiple musicians performed with one another for the entire show, singing one another’s songs and Counting Crows not always present on stage- this was a fun and innovative tour; though I have to admit it was nice for fans to have Counting Crows to themselves for the evening; no matter how short the night was.
Check It Out: Counting Crows Live at Foxwoods Resort & Casino – Mashantucket, CT 04.27.2012
Photos by: Jen Del-Got-It
The Counting Crows Tour Info:
- Jun 09 Stone Pony Summer Stage Asbury Park, NJ
- Jun 12 Ives Concert Park Danbury, CT
- Jun 13 Saranac Brewery Utica, NY
- Jun 15 Echo Beach at Molson Canadian Amphitheater Toronto, Canada
- Jun 16 Centennial Terrace Sylvania, OH
- Jun 18 Cain Park Cleveland, OH
- Jun 20 Wolf Trap Filene Center Vienna, VA
- Jun 20 Filene Center At Wolf Trap Vienna, VA
- Jun 22 Meadow Brook Rochester Hills, MI
- Jun 23 LC Pavilion Columbus, OH
- Jun 25 Iroquois Amphitheater Louisville, KY
- Jun 26 Charter Amphitheater at Heritage Park Simpsonville, SC
- Jun 28 Tuscaloosa Amphitheater Tuscaloosa, AL
- Jun 29 Snowden Grove Park & Amphitheater Southaven, MS
- Jul 01 The Lawn at White River State Park Indianapolis, IN
- Jul 19 Cape Cod Melody Tent Hyannis, MA
- Jul 20 South Shore Music Circus Cohasset, MA
- Jul 22 Susquehanna Bank Center Camden, NJ
For more information; including lineups got http://theoutlawroadshow.com/
- Untitled (Love Song) by The Romany Rye (Luke MacMaster)
- Start Again by Teenage Fanclub (Norman Blake)
- Hospital by Coby Brown (Coby Brown)
- Mercy by Tender Mercies (Kurt Stevenson & Patrick Winningham)
- Meet on the Ledge by Fairport Convention (Richard Thompson)
- Like Teenage Gravity by Kasey Anderson & The Honkies (Kasey Anderson)
- Amie by Pure Prairie League (Craig Fuller)
- Coming Around by Travis (Fran Healy)
- Ooh La La by The Faces (Ronnie Lane & Ron Wood)
- All My Failures by Dawes (Taylor Goldsmith)
- Return of the Grevious Angel by Gram Parsons (Gram Parsons)
- Four White Stallions by Tender Mercies (Kurt Stevenson & Patrick Winningham)
- Jumping Jesus by Sordid Humor (Tom Barnes and Jim Gordon)
- You Ain’t Going Nowhere by Bob Dylan and The Byrds (Bob Dylan)
- The Ballad of El Goodo by Big Star (Alex Chilton & Chris Bell)
- Borderline by Madonna (Reggie Lucas) *
- Girl from the North Country by Bob Dylan (Dylan) *
About the Author
- Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s live at The Crescent Ballroom – Phoenix, AZ 05.26.2012
There is nothing more refreshing than finding new unexpectedly good music...
- Ryan Spaulding and Adam Duritz announce The Outlaw Roadshow
Completely unaffiliated with anything... except coolness...
- The Boxer Rebellion Live at The Crescent Ballroom – Phoenix AZ 04.07.2012
Unique and charming, The Boxer Rebellion have something really amazing going for them...
- New Counting Crows Album Out Today
In celebration of the album's release the Counting Crows will kick off a national tour beginning April 13th in Seattle...
- Counting Crows Announce New Album
Download "Mercy" FREE from the Counting Crows upcoming new album, 'Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation)'...